Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Product Review: When I Grow Up I Want To Be A Firefighter

Description

When I Grow Up I Want to be a Firefighter is part of The Old Schoolhouse Magazine Wanna Be Series. This is a series of fun interactive e- books to help children understand the world around them and the many different professions in it. Each topic is a complete unit study with activities for ages 4-10 but older children and adults will enjoy it also. Some of the other e books in the series include: Chef, Doctor, Missionary, Police Officer, and much more. The cost of each unit is $8.95. Go to www.theoldschoolhousestore.com for more information.

How we used this product

I used this e book with Nick (8), Alex (6), and Anthony (4). We spent about 1 hour a day for a week working with this product.

What We Liked

What little boy is not interested in learning more about firefighters? This was definitely a subject that my boys were interested in learning more about especially after taking a trip to the fire station not too long ago. This e book was full of interesting information and activities related to firefighting. It is a complete unit study covering topics like: history of firefighting and equipment, in and outside of a firetruck, building inspections and codes, pay scale of firefighters in different regions and ranks, a firehouse dog, and the relationship between robots and firefighters. Some of the activities included were: coloring pages, copy work, firefighter math, fill in the story, crossword, word search, sign language, Bible memory verses, Party Ideas, PE activities, fire safety, and instructions for building a robotic arm. There is definitely something for everyone in this study. I did not have to do any advance preparation and the print ables were black and white ink making them less expensive to print.

What We Didn't Like

The reading sections were a bit long and used vocabulary that I would consider advanced even for my eight year old. I found it difficult to keep the little boys' attention during "reading" time and did have to summarize the sections for them.

My Recommendation

Overall, I thought this was a great product. I love using a unit study approach to teach and this had something for everyone. The price is very reasonable with nothing else to buy and I can use it again in a few years with the younger children.-

No comments: