Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Medical Insurance

I remember when I was pregnant with Chelsea, and insurance covered the WHOLE thing right down to the prenatal vitamins. Even 5 years later when I had Nick, I had one small co-pay and the rest was covered at 100%. Those days are gone and with every baby we have we are paying more money for insurance with higher deductibles and less coverage. I have had a horrible time with the billing people from my doctor's office this time. She works in a large clinic with many different kinds of physicians that share the same billing people. At the beginning of my pregnancy I was contacted before my first appointment to let me know how much I would be required to pay and by when. I was also told if I could not make the payments they designated my appointments would be rescheduled until I could. I was very angry about this, but I love my doctor and after having 6 different OBGYN's over the last several years due to moves I was not willing to change again. Just when I finally had everything worked out, Art's company changed insurance. So I had to start all over again with the billing people. I will spare you all of the details of the MANY phone calls, and arguments over what I would be required to prepay. To anyone else facing the same battles with DR's offices over insurance I have some advice. Know exactly what your benefits are. Do not take the word of a billing person at an office without double checking your benefits out yourself. In my case, if I had listened to her, I would be prepaying an extra $600 unnecessarily.

2 comments:

GammySel said...

It is amazing how medical care has turned into a money maker. My husband use to be in medicine and is thankful that he is not long in the field because he said he does not have the heart- to demand money over the care of a patient!

For the love of money!!

How far along are you?
Angie

The Happy Homeschool Mom said...

Angie,

I am almost 34 weeks. My due date is March 23rd.