Our Family

Our Family

Monday, June 29, 2020

Our Week in Review June 22-28th

We have had some bright sunny and hot days this week and a few strong storms.  One of those storms made me feel like I was having a Wizard of Oz moment.  It was calm and still and then all of a sudden the temperature dropped, the wind started blowing. and the clouds started rolling in.  We hurried the animals into the barn and ran down to the house.  Luckily it wasn't anything worse then some strong winds and rain and the worst was over a short time later.  Another day this week it was raining really, really, hard and I couldn't find my girls in the house.  They were on the front porch coloring.  After the rain let up some they grabbed some umbrellas and had a great time playing in the rain.  Even as I am typing this it is raining outside but I think it is supposed to clear up in a few hours.


I have had some extra work outside this week.  Christian had an infected ingrown toenail and could not put his boots on so I had to do his outside chores.  Then Lily had a bee fly into her boot and sting her on top of her foot.  Her foot swelled up and she couldn't put her boot on either!  Later in the week Alex dropped a gate on my foot but I could still get my shoes on.  Something about feet this week!

Yes that is a chicken roosting on the roof of our barn! Why?  Who knows!


When you spend a lot of time with your animals you can tell when they are just not acting right.  One of our babies seemed to be acting a little off earlier in the week so Alex and I went out to check him out after the storm and found an abscess under his front leg.  We had to drain it (fun!) and spray it and give him antibiotic.  The next day we drained it again and have continued to spray it.  That goat is so mad at me he will not let me anywhere near him still.  He runs every time he sees me coming!

We continue to battle the parasite issue in our goats.  One of the mamas was acting odd the other day and would not go near her food.  We went to check her and the inside lid of her eye was almost white.  That is a sign that the goat is extremely anemic.  We have separated her leaving food and water and hay for her all day hoping that she will eat a bit at a time.  She has lost a lot of weight and is lethargic.  We gave her two different kinds of worm medicine at the same time and have been giving her vitamin B12.  Hoping she will recover.


My girls wanted some craft supplies because we are so low on everything.  We grabbed some beads, buttons, sequins, yarn, and paint.  They have been busy making bracelets that spell things out and Lily made a dream catcher.  I didn't get pictures of any of them.

Christian and Anthony have been learning how to create their own video game on the computer using code.  Coding is not my thing so I don't understand much of it but they are learning and enjoying doing it.

We went for a walk this week at the park and Liam spied the playground on our way out he said ,"Mimi stop!  I want to play!" so we stopped and played for a little while before it got too hot.







Our pigs had to go to the vet this week to get a blood test so we could have papers to take them to shows.  They went up the ramp into the trailer so easy!  Much better experience this year from last year. I hope that part of it continues to be easy especially as they grow!

Our camper roof had a leak so we are replacing the roof.  Not fun!  Art is trying to get it fixed before our trip next week but it keeps raining.



The girls recorded Rejoice in the Lord on handbells and chimes Tuesday night to play over the radio yesterday during what is supposed to be collecting of the offering at church. Since there is no actual congregation in the building the offering is not actually collected but the service over the radio follows the same format as if people are really in the church.  They did a great job! It was beautiful!

Nicholas got his move in date for college.  They are supposed to be moving into the dorms August 9th to start classes on August 11th and go til November 20th.  They will not return to the campus until mid January.  We are preparing as if he is actually going to go, but I still wonder if it will really happen or not.  Covid cases are on the rise in Arkansas to go along with the large amount of testing they are doing. And aside from the college saying they are taking precautions to ensure everyone's safety (mandatory masks, shield, cleaning, things like that) they have not said what will happen when there is an outbreak on campus.  With the contact tracing right now you are quarantined if you come in contact with a person that tests positive for two weeks or until you have a negative test.  How will they handle that on a college campus with students being in dorms, cafeterias, and different classrooms when someone tests positive?  Sending kids to college under normal circumstances is stressful.  This year it is much worse!  His high school graduation is scheduled for July 17th.  Waiting to see of it will really happen or not.

I have started planning for next year in our homeschool!  This is the first year in 11 years that I have not been committed to writing a lot of product reviews.  The really good thing about that is I can choose our curriculum and we can work on what we want to instead of being committed to things that we may not want or need to do.  The negative side to that is I have to buy more this year then I normally would.  But, I think the freedom of choosing outweighs the cost for me right now.  I am excited about the things I have decided to buy and am working on doing a little shelf shopping from my house to figure out the best fit for a few other things.  I hopefully will be posting about all of this very soon!

We finally finished Lord of the Rings as our nigh time read aloud.  I need to find something else to start reading for the boys. We are about halfway through with Courageous Love by Susan K Marlow for the girls.

I hope you had a great week!

Happy Homeschooling!

1 comment:

Aflyonmyhomeschoolwall said...

I'm with you about the college stress . . . our community college is staying fully online this fall, so my Super Start has opted out of starting as she knows that online work is not her strength. My Pixie is headed back to Idaho in September, and masks will be mandatory; how will those dancers rehearse and workout in masks?!?!?

How lovely for your girls to be making music for church! I don't think there's anything better for kids than to do a real service for their community, and their music counts.

Hooray for your boys and their coding projects--that's good learning.

I wish you a healthy goat and a fixed camper!!!