Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Homeschool Wrap Up Week 4

We were back to school this week after a week off for the fair.  We also added in some language arts, poetry, and started our new science curriculum.  I have been reading aloud to the children in the evening before bed all summer long but want to start at least one read aloud during the day.  The book I wanted to start with though, Walk the World's Rim, is out of print.  I read it aloud years ago to Chelsea when she studied American history in elementary school. I may try to order it used from Amazon if my library doesn't have it.

Week 4 in our Homeschool:

P.E.: The weather was beautiful this week.  We spent three mornings at the park.  Two days the children skated or rode scooters while I walked then played on the playground.  By the way I learned I should check my first aid kit to make sure I have bandaids before allowing scooters in the park.  No major injuries but my Emmie always needs a bandaid when she gets a scrape.  The third day we alternated jogging and walking around the mile loop.


Bible: We read Luke 6-7:17.

Poetry: We went over a few of the poems from last year each day and started working on The Duke of Plaza-Toro by W.S. Gilbert.

Geography: Our Let's Go Geography lesson was on Haiti this week. 

History: We completed chapter 4 in America's Story on the lost colony of Roanoke. Jamestown, and Pocahontas.

Science: We completed lessons 1 and 2 in Science in the Age of Reason on Edmund Halley.

Math:  I have been doing flashcards with Anthony and Christian every day.  We are working on multiplication 3 and 4's.  In Math Lessons for a Living Education they each completed 4 lessons.

Language Arts:  I started the second module of Reader's in Residence with Anthony and Christian.  For this module you choose your own historical fiction to read.  I chose Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes for both boys to read.  We will be working on reading this book and completing the activities over the next several weeks.

Reading/Spelling:  The boys completed step 13 in AAS Level 4.  Lily completed lessons 36 and 37 in AAR Level 3 and Emmie completed lessons 13 and 14 in AAR Level 1.


Alex 8th grade:  I'm not convinced that Monarch is the best curriculum choice for Alex.  Middle school ages are hard anyway/  I was hoping having everything scheduled out for him would help keep him accountable, but so far that has not worked too well.  Time management is a problem that hopefully will improve.  This week in language arts he worked on lessons on pronoun/antecedent agreement, using pronouns, and using the right prefixes.  He also had a spelling lesson on easily confused words.  He had a quiz in science, a test in science, and a lesson on metric measurement.  In history he had a quiz and a test and lessons on competition for colonial control and new France's southward expansion.  In math he had lessons on simplifying and translating expressions and equations, a quiz and a test.

Nick 10th grade:  Nicholas completed lesson 4 in MUS Algebra II.  In Total Health he completed chapter 4.  In Apologia Marine Biology he started Module 2.  In Notgrass Exploring World History he completed lessons 10, 11, and 12. 

Other Activities this Week:

Monday Lily and Alex had music lessons.



Tuesday Lily and Emmie had gymnastics, Alex and Christian had soccer, and Nick had youth.


Wednesday was the first day of Kid's Club and Jr. High Youth.

Thursday Alex and Christian had soccer.

Friday we attended a picnic at a friend's house.


Liam was trying to help hold his bottle the other day. 

I have been doing a terrible job feeding my family.  They haven't gone hungry, but we have  been eating way too much takeout (expensive!)  over the last couple of weeks.  So when I made my grocery list for Friday I planned 5 freezer meals that I would make 2 of each meal for a total of 10 meals.  I used MyFreezEasy (aff link) and created my own meal plan. As soon as we got home from shopping Friday, I threw together the meals.  It took me a little over an hour and a half.  Hopefully this will help me not buy takeout!  I made beef stew, Dr. Pepper pulled pork, beef taquitos, triple cheddar mac n cheese, and BBQ chicken sandwiches.

I hope you had a great week!

Happy Homeschooling!

No comments: