Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Our Week in Review (December 28-Jan 3rd)

We are still on Christmas break and really did not do a whole lot this week at all.  But there are a few things I wanted to share.

It was cold a few days this week and we had a LOT of rain last week-end, making being outside Monday not a possibility.  I needed something to keep the children busy, so we did an art lesson out of ARTistic Pursuits that was really cool.  The lesson was on Claude Monet and reflections.  For the project we used oil pastels to draw and color a picture on one half of a white piece of paper. After they finished we folded the paper in half and scraped a spoon over the back side of the paper.  When we opened it back up, the reflection of the drawing was on the bottom of the paper.






Emmie wanted an ice cream maker for Christmas.  It ended up not getting here until Tuesday.  Of course as soon as it got here, the girls wanted to make some ice cream.  They really enjoyed it!  and shared with their brothers too.




I had a chance to do a little sewing.  I am making some bed side caddies for the children to hang off of their beds to store books they are reading and other things.  The first one I made was Christian's.  It ended up hanging down farther than I wanted it too, so the next one I made longer and narrower. I still have a few more to do, maybe next week.


We took down the Christmas decorations.  I used to leave them up until January 6th, but since we started putting up real trees we have taken them down earlier because they just don't last as long.  Undecorating is just not as much fun as decorating and I was glad the children were there to help.






We went to the movies and saw The Force Awakens.  We have bog Star Wars fans in this house and they could not wait to see the movie.  We try to go to a movie every year on Christmas break.  The girls were not that impressed but the rest of us really enjoyed it.

Lily woke up sick last night.  I thought she had contracted a stomach virus, but she felt much better this morning and has acted fine all day.  We decided to stay home from church anyway.  She was upstairs playing and her tooth fell out.  Now she has lots of empty spaces!




I am ready to start back to school tomorrow, to start a new year.  I have a few adjustments that I need to make.  Mostly we will be continuing with what we have been doing.  I do need to try and recover my missing files for our Bible study or figure out something else.  I have ordered Learning Language Arts Through Literature for Alex.  I need to try something with some structure but that he can work on independently.  I used it several years ago with my oldest and am hoping it will be a godd fit for him.  I was going to do SWI with him, but decided to wait on that until next year and hopefully use it with 3 of the boys.

Personally 2015 was a hard year for me. Health issues, my dad battling cancer, my daughter choosing to leave home and continued concerns about the choices she is making in her life, and another situation that has caused a lot of anger and heartache.  But there has been joy as well and even in the times of trouble God is with me.  I will continue to hold on to His promises and, have faith that all things will work together for good, and continue to run my race.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,  fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." Hebrews 12:1-3

Happy New Year and Happy Homeschooling!

1 comment:

Aflyonmyhomeschoolwall said...

Looks like a good vacation for all, and it is lovely to read that you are ready for a new year.

I don't feel ready at all! :)

I wish you peace about your oldest daughter. My father turned his back for 30 years to all that he had been taught in his youth, but 2015 was the year he returned to the truth he could not deny any longer.

May your daughter remember the loving teachings of her youth. And may your dad be healthy and happy. I wish you all a joy-filled 2016.