Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Easiest Chicken Pot Pie Ever!

I did some make ahead meals for the freezer yesterday.  I needed some recipes that were quick and easy and didn't require a lot of ingredients.  While looking for new recipes, I found this website: http://happymoneysaver.com/category/homemaking/freezer-meals/ and decided to try a few of her meals.  One of the recipes I used was for Chicken Pot Pie, although I made a few changes.  It was so easy and yummy, I just had to share.

I made 4 pot pies using:

4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
1 32 oz bag of frozen mixed vegetables
1 26 oz bag of frozen hash browns
6 cans of chicken gravy thinned out a little with one can of water
8 ready made pie crusts

I want to note that you absolutely can make your own pie crusts.  But, as much as I love to bake, I detest making pie crusts, so the Great Value already made crusts are perfect for me!  You also could use canned vegetables if you wanted.  Any kind of vegetables work in pot pies.  It's kind of like making soup, you really can't mess it up!

I got a really big bowl, added all the ingredients in and mixed it all together.  I put the pie crusts in the bottom of foil pie tins and then spooned the mixture in each tin.  Then, I put a top crust on each pie, trimming the crust to fit and pinching the edges closed.  Poke a few holes in the top crust, and you are finished.

The pies for the freezer, I wrapped in foil and wrote the baking instructions with a Sharpie on top.  I cooked ours though, and it was yummy!  I baked at 400 degrees for 35 minutes.  If you are taking it straight out of the freezer, you will probably need to more time to bake 45 min- an hour.  You will know when it is done when the top is golden brown and bubbly.

I will definitely be making this recipe again!

No comments: