Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Favorite Recipes: Baked Potato Soup

I love soup in the winter!  It's warm, cheap, and really hard to mess up.  You can throw just about anything into it and it will still taste good.  Soup also makes great baby food!  Tonight I tried a Baked Potato Soup Recipe and it was really good (although Alex and Christian still like my Broccoli Cheese Soup better.)

I doubled this recipe for my large crew.

2 lrg baking potatoes
3 TBSP chopped green onions
4 TBSP butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups of milk
3/4 cup cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream

Chopped green onions. crumbled bacon (I used turkey bacon), shredded cheese for garnish.


Bake potatoes in a 375 degree oven for about an hour.  Make sure you pierce them with a fork before putting them in the oven, or you can bake them in the microwave.  Scoop out insides of potatoes and set aside.  Add butter and onions to a stock pan and cook until onions are soft (I left the onions out since my children do not like them.)  Add flour to stock pan and stir until well combined.  Slowly whisk in milk.  Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thick and creamy.  Be careful not to let the milk scald.  Add in potato insides, cheese, and sour cream stirring until well combined and cheese is melted.  If the soup is thicker than you like, you can thin it out with milk or water until you get the desired consistency. Garnish and serve. 

No comments: