Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, November 17, 2019

Homeschool Wrap Up Week 13

The week started off pretty good but went downhill really fast.  But we survived and made it through and a new week starts tomorrow! 


Monday I got Nick to school, returned home to do some chores and start out school day.  We read through one chapter in the book of John, and completed 3 MOH History lessons (64, 65, and 66) before lunch.  In the afternoon everyone did a math lesson (Emmie missed one and cried and cried.)  Emmie worked on the poem All Things Bright and Beautiful in literature and we did the warm up lesson for the story Billy Makes Friends in AAR Level 3, she also did some copywork,  Lily worked on her Morning Girl lesson in literature and her Reading Eggs workbook.  Christian and Anthony started the first lesson in AAS Level 7, read a chapter of Robin Hood and completed the comprehension questions, and started an outline on a persuasive essay.

I picked up Nick from school and took the girls to gymnastics.  Then I ran them all home after and ran back to town for a homeschool meeting (3 trips to town and back = 2 hours driving for me.)  When I got home and went to check on all of the children, I found Anthony not feeling well.  I was up most of the night with him.

Tuesday Chelsea took Nick to school because she had a sub job at the high school and she had to bring the children out here.  I confined Anthony to his bed upstairs and kept everyone else downstairs.  For school we read one chapter in the book of John, watched an episode on Post Impressionist in HiGasfy, and started lesson 2 in Let's Go Geography Year 2 on the Pacific Northwest.  Christian and Lily did Math.  Lily did her literature and Emmie read Billy Makes Friends in AAR Level 3.  Nick had a field trip to SAU and needed to be picked up at 10:00 Tuesday night so I had to run to town to get him.

Liam joined in on our geography lesson


Wednesday I ran Nick to school in the morning, came home and tried to get caught up on a few things on the computer and then gathered the children to the upstairs living room for school.  It was really cold that morning and I wanted to sit in front of the fire.  As soon as I started reading my phone went off.  It was a text from Nick who wasn't feeling well and needed to be picked up from school.  I went and got him and gave up on the idea of school for the day as it was almost lunchtime. Instead I cleaned and disinfected everything (again.)  Then we had to leave for church (3rd trip to town again) leaving Anthony and Nick home. 

Lily and Emmie packed some OCC boxes


We had some drama at church that was ridiculous and unnecessary and ended up being a personal attack on me and two of my children.  I really hate conflict and confrontation.  One good thing that came out of it though is that it made me really stop and think about my children and all of the responsibilities they end up with without having a say in the matter because I am in charge of something and whether or not that's fair.  Especially when they go above and beyond and still get criticized for it.  I spoke with the children that evening and explained that if they no longer want to help with it they don't have to just because I'm in charge.  They can choose not to.  It also helped me make another decision.  I have been on the Homeschool Review Crew for 10 years.  I have written 449 reviews with one more due this week.  I had been on the fence about returning for a few other reasons.  But it occurred to me that the same thing happens over and over again with reviews.  I throw something at the kids telling them I need them to read this or use this or switch math because I need to write a review and I have not given them much of a say in it at all.  It's time for that to change.  I will not be returning next year.  I think in January when it starts rolling again I will miss it especially when its things from companies I love.  I still would consider writing reviews for those companies I love!  We have been very blessed with many things I would not have known about or could not afford if it wasn't for the Crew. Right now I just feel relieved to have that decision made and to take control of my homeschool and more of my time.

Wednesday night Christian came down sick.  I was up with him most of the night and cleaning and disinfecting everything again.  He really had it the worst.  Everyone but Art has had it by now so I am hoping we are done being sick for awhile!!

Thursday we did not even attempt school.  We watched a few educational TV shows on Animal Planet.  I was so, so tired.  I got Alex to a meeting and Emmie to dance.

This chicken got a bit lost and ended up in our swing set.  The girls put some hay in there because the cats like to sleep there and it got so cold at night this week (we were down to 18 degrees.) 

Friday morning I got Nick to school came home and took care of paying bills and other paperwork I needed to get done.  Made an appointment for the dog at the vet who had a mysterious fluid filled lump on her side.  I had to cancel music to take the dog.  She has a small puncture wound that caused a bruise and the bruise to fill up with blood.  They stuck a needle in it to make sure that was what it was and gave her two weeks worth of antibiotics. We had to run her back home (because she was bleeding everywhere)  and then go back to town again to get groceries.  Art got out of work early to go look at a car someone had told us about and we bought it.  It is a 2004 Buick Lesabre, leather interior and was very well taken care of.  Nick's vehicle is now nicer then mine.  We will get it on the road this week and he will be driving himself again. 



I hope you had a great week!

Happy Homeschooling!

1 comment:

Aflyonmyhomeschoolwall said...

I'm sorry for your hard week. Truly. I totally understand how exhausted you were through it all. You did a lot of good for your family and community this week! You do a lot of good every week! I totally respect your decision to stop writing reviews. I hope that new car is a blessing to your family. Fewer hours on the road!!!