Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, July 22, 2018

Our Week in Review (July 16th-22nd)

I live in Arkansas.  It gets a little hot here in the summer, but I have to say that we had a couple of just ridiculously hot days this week.  Over 100 degrees on the thermometer and over 115 with the heat index.  I bought a bag of chocolate chips on Friday morning when we went grocery shopping and by the time we got across the parking lot and loaded the groceries the top of the bag had melted.  I am thankful for the cooler temps today (only low 90's) and hoping they stick around this week.

Monday the girls had another painting class.  This week's lesson was on Monet and painting water lillies.  They both enjoyed it and I am glad that they had an opportunity to go 2 of the painting classes this summer.





The rest of the day I cleaned and did laundry to get the 4 children that were attending 4 H camp at Timber Lodge Ranch ready to go.

Tuesday right after an early lunch we headed to the EH House to meet up with all of the campers.  I was a back up driver just in case they did not have enough room to load everyone's stuff up (you can fit a lot into a 15 passenger van!)  They did not end up needing me, so I kissed my campers goodbye (even the ones I have to stand on tiptoe to reach) and off they went.  It was the first time Lily had been away from me overnight except for the couple of times she has stayed with my parents.  She had a great time.  They did a lot of swimming, went kayaking and canoeing, played games and did other activities (pictures have not been posted yet.) They did have a thunderstorm one night but it wasn't a very bad one and it ended before bedtime. 

With 4 children gone, that left me with all of their chores!  Rabbits, chickens, and goats had to be fed, watered, and cleaned up after.  Morning animal chores took about an hour with Anthony helping by watching the goats eat.  The evening animal chores are a little easier and only take about 30 minutes. Someone also had to do their inside chores too, but we got them done.  The house felt very empty and strangely quiet.

Emmie does not play well by herself.  I don't know if that comes from being the youngest of 7 or just her personality.  Christian and Lily are her usual playmates.  With both of them gone she was a bit lost.  She and Anthony played some board games and worked on a puzzle together.  She did some school work and we watched a movie.  She decided to sew a small blanket for Liam. On Wednesday she had a play date at our house.  A couple that goes to our church had their granddaughter stay with them a few weeks in June.  She and Emmie are almost the same age and enjoyed being in Sunday School together.  She and her mom have been back in Arkansas for several weeks as they get ready to make a move to Hawaii (dad is in the military.)  The girls had a wonderful time playing together and I enjoyed visiting with the mom and grandma.  The girls are planning on writing to each other.






 Wednesday night we had a chick hatch and as of today it is still doing well.  Thursday we found another but we wont talk about that one, other then to say that I texted Art and told him I don't think I'm cut out for this stuff.   To fix the problem Art made some adjustments to the roost and elected Anthony to make a box to put the eggs in so the mom could sit on them.




Thursday Chelsea and Liam came over.  And the children returned from camp.  The house went from silence to complete chaos!

My van is in the shop.  It needs some back breaks and other repairs.  The parts will not be here until Tuesday.  This spring/summer every vehicle we own has needed repairs, plus we needed tires on the truck and repairs on the tractor and lawn mower.  Thankful for a husband who can fix the problems but it still is costly and frustrating when everything is breaking down at once.

We finished Andi Far From Home, the 6th book in the Circle C Stepping Stones series by Susan K. Marlow, another outstanding book.  We started Book 2 of The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, The Hidden Gallery, but I could not read that one while the children were at camp so we are only 7 chapters in.  I found the Molly American Girl books really cheap and Lily has been reading through those.  We finished the video series, Dinosaurs and the Bible from Northwest Treasures (upcoming review) and are working on Home School in the Woods Middle Ages.  I have ordered Paddington (the picture book we already have the chapter book) for a study from Branch out World (upcoming review) that we will start this week.

I placed an order for the rest of our school books and will be posting about our curriculum choices starting this week.

I hope you had a great week!

Happy Homeschooling!

No comments: