Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

May Cloverbud 4 H Meeting

Last night was our 4 H meeting for May.  Honestly I wasn't sure how many children were even going to be there because was a different night then we usually meet and I forgot to have postcards mailed out (but I did send 2 emails.)  We ended up with a pretty good turnout with 12 4 hers plus 4 younger siblings. The topic I chose for the meeting was Astronomy.

I did a power point presentation on different things relating to Astronomy: definition, planets, stars and constellations, sun, moon, comets, asteroids, and meteoroids.  We had a little technical difficulty getting the projector to cooperate with my computer, but once it got going we had no further problems.  It was the first power point I have ever done and truthfully I put it together yesterday afternoon.  I am not normally a procrastinator, there just has been a lot going on lately.  I thought it turned out pretty good.




After the power point we did a craft.  I had found a planet craft on Pinterest that I thought was really cute.  You cut out all of the planets and the sun and "arms" for each of the planets.  The arms went from shortest to longest and were labeled which each planet according to how close they were to the sun.  The planets got glued to the arms and then attached to the sun by a brad, simulating the planets rotating around the sun.




Then I read the book Moonfinder by Jay Ryan.



Next I showed a cute craft that we made at homes showing the phases of the moon using oreo cookies.

After that we had oreos and juice for a snack.


Next month we are planning a mini golf outing and we take off the month of July.  We will have a regular meeting again in August to get ready for the fair.

No comments: