Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Art Co-op: Van Gogh

Yesterday was our second Art Co-op.  The first one we did 2 weeks learned about Claude Monet and completed two art projects.  This week I decided to do Vincent Van Gogh.

First we learned a bit about Van Gogh, although I did downplay the mental illness and did not tell the children how he died.

Then we looked at some of his most famous paintings including one of my favorites Starry Night, which by the way several of the children recognized when I showed it to them :)

Then we started our first project.  The idea was to draw the outline of Starry Night with Elmer's Glue, allow the glue to dry and then color over it with oil pastels.  The effect is really cool, but I suggest if you try it, do it when you can allow the glue to dry over night.  The children did much thicker glue lines then I did on my practice one and even with drying them with a hair dryer not everyone's glue dried before it was time to leave.






While we were waiting for the glue to dry we did Van Gogh's Sunflowers using oil pastels.






And then since some of the Starry Night pictures were not yet dry we did it again by simply drawing it with oil pastels.

We had a lot of fun!

1 comment:

a49erfangirl said...

Van Gogh is one of my favorite artists. The kids did beautiful artwork. I tried to do a painting of the Van Gogh sunflowers earlier this week but didn't like my brush strokes so I painted the canvas white again. I will have to try the glue and oil pastel idea. We have never done that before.