Our Family

Our Family

Monday, March 26, 2012

Review: Take Back the Land by Rick Boyer

paperback 253 pages

Purchase at Christian Book.com for $10.99 by clicking here.

" This is a book for young people.  It was written because I believe you people are important and that they have a huge part in God's plan for the future of America and the Church.  In fact, you are the future.  And a big part of the present, too."

In Take Back The Land, Rock Boyer, homeschooling father of 14 is speaking to today's young people and encouraging them, the Joshua generation (the second generation of homeschoolers whose parents the Moses generation fought for homeschooling freedoms in the 1980's)  to stand up, take notice, and take back our land for Christ.  Throughout the book he speaks very realistically without dumbing teens down and unapoligetically about the problems America is facing today and what our teens can do it about it.  Not tomorrow, or when they are "adults", but what they can start doing today to take back our "promised land."  In his very down to earth conversational tone, Rick talks about areas such as: education, the media, the arts, the family, the church, and the courts.  He shows how our founding fathers intended for things to be and how far astray our nation has come.  He gives very realistic ways our young people today can step into the arena and begin the fight to take back our land.  I loved how the book ended, "We really don't need another order.  Our Commander has already said, "Go ye into all the world."  Your response is up to you.  The Moses generation is watching you, Joshua.  Take back the land." 

I wanted to add that although it is written for teens (in my opinion older teens), I think homeschooling parents can read and greatly benefit from the book also.  Do you ever waver in your conviction to homeschool?  Read the book especially the section on education so you can be reminded how and why government run schools came about and what they really teach children. " Sit still and be quiet.  Don't question why we do it this way, just do it.  Give us the answer we want or we'll punish you.  Know your place: mainstream, gifted, or LD.  We will tell you what you're worth.  We will tell you what to read.  We will tell you what to think.  We will drug you if you get out of hand. We will tell you , by golly, when to go to the bathroom.  You're not here to learn to run you're own life."

I would highly recommend Take Back the Land for the older teen and homeschooling parents, those who may be thinking about homeschooling, or even if you didn't homeschool and are interested in what you can do to make a difference in our nation today and in future generations.

I received  a complimentary copy of Take Back the Land from New Leaf  Publishing Group for the purpose of writing a fair and honest review.  I received no other compensation.

2 comments:

kathleen said...

I am sure this book has sooo much good in it. Someone who has had the grace and faithfulness to raise and homeschool 14 children is amazing to me! And I do love homeschooling, giving them an education that can be found no where else but home...it is a blessing and a grace. But I do have to comment about that quote about the public school system, because I don't think that is true about so many of them. I never thought I would EVER put my children in public school, but things happened, I can't afford private, and I was not getting our work done for over 2 years. As a previous homeschooler now in public, I have a different view of the system. I don't love it for sure,but I have to tell you that that quote has not been our experience, many public schools are made up of kind teachers that are very sweet to children. Ruth is very outspoken,and her history teacher allows her to disagree and comment.Her english teacher is a wonderful Christian woman who I'm thankful to know,Georgia's teachers are all just so so great,they are not oppressive or "you better do it this way or else" kind of teachers.
They are helpful,communicate through email every week exactly what the kids are learning and homework.They are allowed to pick any book they want to read for points and get rewarded for those points.Of course I have to make sure that they are reading appropriate things.And Townes has wonderful teachers who have taught him so much.Now there are all the things that I can't stand too, and children who say and do bad things, that are just plain rascals. But we talk about all that and teach them God's Word at home, to teach them how to love those that are wrong (that we are all sinners just the same but for God's grace to us),to be kind but not to hang around them. That they shouldn't talk about others behind their back, make fun of anybody,be mean in any way.I always am, in my mind and heart, asking God for wisdom.It is scary!And I'm so glad to have Cornelia at home this year and next year too.But I just had to say something about that quote, I think he is wrong to make all public schools sound like that, it's just not true.And ever since I put my kids in public school, the homeschooling community has treated me differently and it's hard. There is a lot of judgement out there (which I surely have been a part of when we were homeschooling).I have a much different view of things now. I don't think public school is the very best,it isn't,but many people have to turn there.And I think about all the disadvantage children who have no choice at all,whose parents aren't kind or caring, and some(not all)of those teachers are the only place they get some sort of guidance and love.I know you know all of this, and sorry this is so long, but I just started typing and couldn't stop! :) I know that public school is the cause of so much of our country's problems...so much! They don't consistently get taught about true history and bad governments, the constitution, the right economics, personal responsibility, hard work, not entitlements, etc, etc!! But i believe it to be a stem of a worse problem of having so many people in our country that need Christ, cause it is from Him that these governing truths, scientific truths, beauty,hard work,everything comes from Him.It is in the family that loves God,that honors and trust His word,that gives Him the glory for science, history, man's creativity to do all that man has done, grace. And then from there,to the world. Well, sorry for my speech!! I hope you don't mind, you are such a great mama and homeschooler and a great blessing to Art and the kids! I just wanted to give a little bit of an alternative opinion than the one that was quoted from the book...take care Lisa!!

The Happy Homeschool Mom said...

Kathleen,

The quote was not directed at teachers or even one particular school system. There are great teachers in the public school. There are even some school systems that desire to do great things (within the context of what they are "allowed") It is directed at how the system works as a whole and why government schooling was even started to begin with. The books, Dumbing Us Down and The Underground History of American Education by John Taylor Gatto are books both written on the subject of how government schooling came about. There are many unfortunately that are stuck in the system and won't be able to get free until major changes (and I don't mean education reform) are made.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and to write a speech when you need to. I love ya, my friend!