Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Have I Ever Mentioned.......

How great the flexibility of homeschooling really is? I often have appreciated this in the past when we can take time off for something we want to do or for small vacations at odd times of the year. Also every time we have a baby it comes in handy to have the ability to change our spring break (the last 2 babies plus the one coming up has been due around that time) to coincide with baby's birth. This week I really have appreciated the flexibility homeschooling has allowed when facing something unexpected. Not just in my house either, but a dear friend who homeschools also. I had a lot of plans for this week (homeschooling wise.) Plans to finish up some work on a few subjects and to dive in to a few newer review items we have coming up. When Art went to the doctor Monday morning we thought he was just going to get some antibiotics and come home. The children and I started off our school day as planned. Then when I got a text message saying the infection was more serious then we thought and he had to see a surgeon in the afternoon plans had to change. First, no school for the rest of the day. Next, what was I going to do with the children so I could take my dh to the surgeon where we thought they were going to lance the infection right in the office. Chelsea does great watching over the three little ones, but the two bigger boys ....let's just say they do not have a whole lot of respect for her authority...plus watching that many children is a huge responsibility for someone not quite 14. Luckily I have a dear friend who also appreciates the flexibility of homeschooling and invited the boys to come and play while we went to the doctor. Chelsea stayed home with Lily since it was during her nap time. At the office we found out they could not do the procedure in the office. Instead, we had to go to the hospital the next day where they would put my dh under anesthesia and take care of it there. Another day with no school (for us or my dear friend who said the boys would be more than welcome to come back and play...what would I do without good friends!) Everything went well at the hospital and the patient's recovery has been better than we expected !
Although we did not get as much done as I had planned this week, there's no worries about it. Tomorrow is another day and there is plenty of time to get done the things we need/want to do. That's just another great thing about homeschooling. It allows for flexibility when important things in life come up. Long division can wait until tomorrow.

1 comment:

The Crazy Mom said...

I'm glad to hear your hubby is doing well. :)