Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, May 31, 2008

All Through the Ages

I was having a hard time deciding what to do for Chelsea's History next year. I really do not like to use textbooks, but "living books" to teach History. Last year I bought Sonlight's American History and I liked their concept of teaching through Readers and Read-Alouds, but I was not thrilled with the cost of the curriculum and Chelsea (who LOVES to read) had almost $400 worth of books read in less than 2 weeks (except for the Read-Alouds I wouldn't let her read those without me.)
What I found is a guide called All Through the Ages History Through Literature Guide by Christine Miller. I bought it on http://www.amazon.com/ in like-new condition for $22 (new it is $27.95)
It is a compilation of over 5600 of the best living books and great literature arranged by chronological era, geographical region, and reading level for ages 1-12 th grade. For each section she lists books in the following catagories :Resources for all ages, grades 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12 overview of the era, specific events, historical fiction, literature, culture, and biography starting with Creation and continuing to the Modern Era. I can choose books for Chelsea to read from the 4-6 level on her own and I can read aloud to her from the higher levels. It is a great resource and I will hopefully be able to get most of the books from the library or through Inter library Loan.

1 comment:

mysteryhistorymom said...

Sounds great! I will have to look into getting a copy... Lori