Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Our Birth Story

We went into the hospital Friday morning at 5:30 am for a scheduled induction due to "pregnancy induced hypertension." This was my first time being at this particular hospital as I had to find a new doctor for this pregnancy because my other doctor stopped delivering. After filling out paperwork and monitoring my blood pressure and the baby for an hour, they started the Pitocin. At 7:15 am my doctor came over and broke my water. She also gave permission for me to be able to get out of bed on occasion to use the bathroom (they usually won't let you do this when your water is broken.) I did not start having any contractions until 8:45 am so up until then I tried to rest a little bit. The contractions were not very painful until they started moving more into my back than in my stomach. Changing positions helped quite a bit as did the few walks I was able to make. At 12:30 my doc came back to check on me and I was 8 cm. She gave permission for me to get up one more time and said she would see me very soon. At the point the pain in my back was worse than anything I had ever experienced, but 2 contractions later I told Art to call the nurse. She came running in and paged the nursery and the doctor because it was TIME! Two pushes later, at 12:44 pm Emelia Rose was on my abdomen getting her first look at the world around her. After she was weighed( 6 lbs 6 oz and 19 in my smallest baby by far )and Apgar scores checked, I got to nurse her and she was nursing like a champ. She is doing very well (been asleep all day so who knows what tonight is going to be like.) I was very pleased with the hospital and could not have asked for a better nurse who was very supportive of natural childbirth and recognized that I have done this before and let me do what I needed to do to be successful. I could not imagine a better experience or outcome (unless it could have been completely pain free :) The children are thrilled with their new baby sister and have done a great job looking after me today and keeping me well stocked with water.

1 comment:

Tristan said...

So glad to hear your birth story. I have had pitocin with ALL 6 (various reasons...sigh) and my midwife has been super supportive of letting me do my own thing. What a blessing you had at your hospital!